Thursday, May 21, 2009

Twists of Fate

I want to blame Maggie for her indecisions - but I coudn't.  The clergyman charges it all to inexperience.  And I agree with it.  Maggie has led a life in privation [as a matter of choice] to protect herself from all the pain and indignation.  But this very act seemed to have betrayed her.  This is evident in almost all of the happenings in her life - especially during the latter part of the story.

Lost amidst the web of happenings of her life, she sought counsel with aperson she thought will do best.  Don't we all try to seek advise from a priest, a pastor, a clergy, a rabbi if we feel so lost?

The clergyman wrote her a letter of advice:  to leave St. Ogg's to be able to start a new, fresh and probably better life.  She do not want to do this; I have known all along because she had the chance but chose not to - whether to live alone or someone else.  She got the letter one rainy day that was followed by another, and another.  I am not really sure if she had decided to stay or that she was just waiting for the rains to stop.  Or whether she hasn't decide and wouldn't decide on anything when it comes to leaving St. Ogg's.

The rain hasn't stop but she needed so badly to go to - Dorlcote Mill - home.  I couldn't believe it because of the heavy rain and the darkness of the night.  All of the forces must have joined together to take her back.  One of the reasons, if not the only reason, why she went back was because of Tom.  They found each other at the oddest of circumstances; but this circumstance is what brought them back in peace to each other again, after a long time of having drifted apart.

I do not know how long will the memory of the end of this story stay with me.  I only had two choices for the ending; but I found out there was another one.

Maggie went back to Dorlcote Mill - The Mill on the Floss - at St. Ogg's, and never left again.

No comments:

Popular Posts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...