Friday, May 22, 2009

Romance Meter


copied from Wikipedia
image copied from Wikipedia

17, Vegetarian.

This is how they described Edward, or at least how Edward describes 'his family.'

At last, I have the drive to continue with this book.  I told myself not to double-read books this time and just continue with this book.  I have been putting it off since March; so that was after two months and four books.

My exposure to vampires when I was younger [not so young because I heard about it when I was already in my teens because we have a different folklore] is entirely different from what the book is trying to depict.  Now my questions are:  [1] Is there a difference between the vampires then and the vampires now?; [2] My young exposure depicts a vampire in the local scene [in my country] seems to be in a different light.  Was it just a misconception?  Because if not, then it goes back again to question number 1.

From what I have read so far, it looks to me that this story is indeed trying to glorify vampires.  I do not have anything against this, really.  In fact, I think this is exactly the reason why it made it to the charts.  The story builds up in such a way that it will make you slowly understand "them,"' and to add some more juice to the tale, it also builds up in such a way that you will slowly fall in love with Edward.

Well, you might think right now that I am falling for Edward.  Oh no, not quite yet.  It's just that reading through, the development of his character actually points to this.  As well as the development of their love story.

The funny thing is, based on this observation, I now have my next question.  Am I past the age of this falling-in-love-tweetums things?  Or I am just not that affected by how these things were presented?  Or could it be that age has brought my romance-meter to the next higher level?  Awww... I miss being a kid... when all your "meters" were not even calibrated from time to time; when chocolates all taste the same, birthday cakes did not have to be two-or-three-layers high as long as they have the candles and flowers, balloons just come in round shapes and all ice bream brands taste the same and seems-to-melt faster when it's on the cone.  That simple.

No comments:

Popular Posts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...