Sunday, March 15, 2009

Ironies

I was looking for the book "Night" by Elie Wiesel.  Back home, they were out of stock when I had the money, and everything was put off since.  And I left for here.

Recently, I became a member of a bookshop and a holder of their loyalty card.  I also discovered that you can ask the customer service hotline for some books you are looking for.  Not bad... saves me the time to visit them only to find out they don't have it on their stock.

So, I dialed.  The customer care representative told me that it's out of stock, and later on, told me that it's banned here.  I said okay if that's the case... it's normal to hear that here every now and then.

But the thing that puzzled me is the fact that "A Thousand Splendid Suns" byKhaled Hosseini  is on their book shelf, on the Top 10 Books.  Why it puzzles me?  This book tells the story about domestic violence, oppression, war and a lot of not-so-good things about the Muslim culture,  set during the late 1990s until mid 2000, and yet, it is allowed.

Night by Elie Wiesel, is his autobiography about his experiences on concentration camps at Auschwitz and Buchenwald during the Second World War.
I don't get the point.

No comments:

Popular Posts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...