Monday, May 4, 2009

Eliot's Thoughts

There are some interesting passages, quotes all over the novel.  This is another thing which makes it very interesting.  Like Dostoevsky, her thoughts are really deep and sometimes, I coudln't believe that these things already happen during her time.  Sometimes, I even stop reading because of too much awe that certain things do not really change over time.  What fascinates me about writers is that they have their way of winding through words to create the best possible sentence fit for the situation.  Here are some quotes that I took out of the book:
She thought it was the order of nature that people who were poorly off should be snubbed.  Mrs. Moss did not take her stand on the equality of the human race:  se was a patient, prolific, loving-hearted woman.
I believe this is true even at our time or even across the centuries.
Public spirit was not held in high esteem in St. Ogg's and men who busied themselves with political questions were regarded with some suspicions, as dangerous characters.  They are usually persons who had little or no business of their own, or if they had, were likely to become insolvent.
I find this quite hideous because of the truth behind it.  Right now, talks of the upcoming elections in my country has started and there are a lot of things to write about.  Our country is home to actors-turned-politicians, which is actually demonstrated by the previous president who was once the king of action films.  The question of insolvency is rather true as well.  Aspiring candidates of our country invests too much [which actually makes me wonder sometimes where they get their funds from] because of the gains that they could get IF and WHEN they win.  Most of the time, insolvency and popularity mix together.  One insolvent BUT once popular candidate would be the benefactor of other people with vested interests that will collect what is due them later on.

I will miss the elections.  I probably will not be able to vote on this coming one.

Oh yeah.  I remember, when blogging wasn't even in the internet yet, I remember sending an e-mail to a friend from the U.S.  about the politics in my country.  I will try to find that e-mail and write it here next time.

No comments:

Popular Posts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...