Saturday, April 11, 2009

1,140

Ninteen Minutes by Jodi Picoult
The first most controversial of it was the Columbine shooting.  Well, it is the first that I have heard of and followed for a while.  There must have been cases like this that weren't sensationalized before. This is the first one that got into my hands.  I tried to follow the story as much as I could with the little sources I had... until the news died down but the memory remained alive.  There were more, but I wasn't able to keep track.  The last time I read very briefly of, is the internet-based social networking wherein you make friends and discussions, and eventually led one [most of them teens] to commit suicide; it is called Cult Suicide and  I read it on this blog that I decided to follow though it hasn't discuss more than what has been written there.

What really happened?  There isn't much yet that I have read.  I seek to know what transpired in ninteen minutes.  But more than that, I want to know what it takes to conceive all these, what led him to do what he has done.  So far, the only thing he said was, "They started it."

Nineteen Minutes.  Was it the time it took for him to execute his plan?  Was it the time it took him to plan for his moves?  How many seconds of that ninteen minutes did he take to even think of backing out [just in case this is the time it took him to carry out the plan]?

Well, wherever we are, most of us have been through a lot in early school.  For some, this would be a memory that they choose not to remember.  In fact, we choose to forget - tried so hard to erase.  In The Idiot, Myshkin tried to fit in.  But in the end, it cost him more than he was supposed to.  He was ten years older than Peter.  He is Russian, Peter is American.  But it is not an issue.  They both live in a society that doesn't seem to give them what they need.  To make it short, Myshkin seems to be luckier than Peter, for he was gifted with something that will make him not hurt at all. Something he always had, tried to lose, but the one that help him cope with it all.  But with Peter, so far as I have read, he lives to tell the tale.

I think these all is not about being an outcast.  It's just about being accepted as we are; to belong.

Let's see if I am right...

No comments:

Popular Posts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...