Monday, March 30, 2009

Common Grounds

One of the issues that Fyodor raised on this book, The Idiot,  is Liberalism.

This reminded me of the book that I read before this.  Colonel Aureliano Buendia fought almost all his life to fight for Liberalism, which I believe he never won after all those years.

Fyodor, however, is not so much fond of Liberalism.  He believes that Liberalism is not only "an attack on the established order of things," but the fact is, "it is an attack on the very essence of things."  I am not going to talk more of this, since I am not really in the position nor the knowledge of such things.

My issue is that as a traveller who travels through books, I could see that they have common grounds.  I don't exactly know how many years apart were these two books written (One Hundred Years of Solitude and The Idiot). But the fight for one common ground is there.  But, it is also safe to say that we do not know really if they are fighting for the same ideology, which I am sure some philosophers or historians would know.  This also reminds me of a movie I have once seen, "Cold Mountain" which I think (but I am not really sure) the war or battle was also with regard to Liberalism.

No comments:

Popular Posts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...