Friday, June 19, 2009

Good Poem

Edgar was asked by Elizabeth Eastlake to read for him at the early part of the story.  Elizabeth has a book of good poems where Edgar would read to her [perhaps randomly].  One of the poems - and the only poem written on the book[so far] - was something written by Frank O'hara.  I am not really sure if this is the whole poem or only a part of it.  But I am sharing this because, as well as Edgar and Elizabeth, I was actually teary-eyed as Edgar read it to Elizabeth.
Have you forgotten what we were like then
when we were still first rate
and the day came fat with an apple in its mouth
'it's no use worrying about time
but we did have a few tricks up our sleeves
and turned some sharp corners
'the whole pasture looked like our meal
we didn't need speedometers
we could manage cocktails out of ice and water'
'I wouldn't want to be faster
or greener than now if you were with me O you
were the best of all my days.

No comments:

Popular Posts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...