Friday, June 19, 2009

American Primitive

This is what Mary Ire called Edgar Freemantle the very first time she saw his paintings.

Now that Edgar is having his first show, he quoted Mary Ire for what she said, but in a good way.  Something Edgar didn't think about; like it just came simultaneously while he was having his speech.  He didn't know how to start or what to say in his speech, because he is not a painter.  It just sort of came out.  And that was the start of it all.

He paints and paints and paints.  Sunsets.  Florida sunsets, Duma Key sunsets.

One night he was doing his work, Wireman Looks West.  But that night was not like any other, because it was raining.  There was a storm actually.  You would wonder how he finished this masterpiece, but he did.  Contrary to this, I read this part one hot, summer night.  And then, I woke up in the middle of the night to pee like I normally do.  But what also wasn't normal that early morning was that I suddenly remember the twins - Tessie and Laura, Elizabeth Eastlake's siblings.  Edgar saw [or he thought he did] them at the bottom of the stairs when he was to go down after finishing the painting.  That's why I remembered them.  I went like, "What if I saw them?"  But I didn't.  I didn't have a nightmare, too.  I was actually able to convince myself that I wouldn't have it because I don't even know how they look like.

Anyway, Elizabeth Eastlake is now in her other world.  Edgar [and I] at this point, wants to know more about her.  I wanted to talk about Elizabeth but didn't get the chance to until today.  In the beginning, I wasn't scared of her.  I still am not.  But I am intrigued with her past.  Is there anything that Edgar and I should know about?  It's not that she is hiding it from us.  It's just that there might be something that we need to know.

Edgar tried to ask Wireman but he wasn't very clear on it.  He says we should ask Mary Ire.  But does Mary know anything about the Eastlakes?  And if she does, how much does she know, if not all? I am pretty sure not all, but how much of it?  And for sure, Edgar and I have to find out a lot about the Eastlakes on our own.

Between The Lines:
Healing is a kind of revolt, and as I think I've said, all successful revolts begin in secret.
When it comes to things like pictures, it's always just someone's opinion.
Do the day and let the day do you.
A life without books is a thirsty life.
Never trust a person who prays in public.
When it comes to the past, we all stack the deck.  Tell too much and you find yourself telling the past you wished for.

No comments:

Popular Posts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...